Earlier this month, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) released a new poster that employers are required to display in their workplaces. The “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” poster updates and replaces the previous “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” poster. According to the press release, the new poster includes the following changes:
- Uses straightforward language and formatting;
- Notes that harassment is a prohibited form of discrimination;
- Clarifies that sex discrimination includes discrimination based on pregnancy and related conditions, sexual orientation, or gender identity;
- Adds a QR code for fast digital access to the how to file a charge webpage;
- Provides information about equal pay discrimination for federal contractors.
As with all mandated posters, the “Know Your Rights” poster must be posted in a conspicuous location where notices to applicants and employees are customarily posted. The EEOC also “encourages” employers to “post a notice digitally on their websites in a conspicuous location.”
Of course, this poster is only one of many required by California employers. If you have questions regarding what employment posters your business is required to post, contact any of the attorneys in the Weintraub Tobin Labor and Employment group for help.