Summary of Program
The risks involved in misclassifying a worker as an independent contractor rather than an employee have always been serious. A number of federal and state agencies regulate the proper classification of workers and have the authority to impose significant monetary and non-monetary sanctions against employers who get the classification wrong.
This informative webinar will cover the legal landscape of independent contractor status. Topics will include:
- A summary of the various tests applied by federal and state agencies to determine independent contractor status;
- A summary of the enforcement authority of various federal and state agencies and the sanctions they may impose on employers;
- The due diligence employers must engage in before classifying a worker as an independent contractor;
- The federal Department of Labor’s $25 million “Misclassification Initiative” designed to work closely with state agencies to investigate misclassifications and take enforcement action; and
- California’s law imposing monetary and non-monetary sanctions against employers (and certain individuals) who willfully misclassify workers as independent contractors.
If you or your company is currently using independent contractors, this is a webinar you cannot afford to miss. Register today!
Date: August 21, 2014
Time: 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.