Wage and hour lawsuits and claims filed with the Department of Labor and the California Labor Commissioner continue to plague California employers. Often employers are sued because of technical violations that occur simply because the employer is unaware of its legal obligations. Other times, employers make the mistake of treating an employee as exempt from Wage Orders and Labor Code laws, when in fact the employee does not qualify.
This seminar will help employers understand and comply with wage and hour laws in California. In addition, this seminar will help employers, HR professionals, supervisors, and payroll managers gain a more thorough understanding of the various exemptions available under California law and learn how to conduct a legally strong exemption analysis.
- “Actual hours worked” and problems with “off the clock” work
- Overtime: What is and is not included in the “regular rate” of pay?
- Reporting time pay/split shift premiums
- Meal periods and rest breaks
- Travel time and compensatory time off
- “Flex-time” and “alternative work” schedules
- PAGA Claims/Class Claims
- What actually needs to be on the pay stub
- Employee Classifications
- A discussion of the exemptions available
- Checklists for determining if your employees are properly classified as exempt
- How to conduct a self-audit
- What to do if your employees may have been misclassified
- What are the courts saying? – Highlights of recent decisions regarding wage and hour laws
September 12, 2018
8:30 am – 9:00 am – Registration & Breakfast
9:00 am – 12:00 pm – Seminar
Weintraub Tobin Office
400 Capitol Mall, 11th Floor | Sacramento, CA 95814
Parking Validation provided. Please park in the Wells Fargo parking garage, entrances on 4th and 5th Street. Please bring your ticket with you to the 11th floor for validation.
There is no charge for this seminar.
This seminar is also available via webinar. Please indicate in your RSVP if you will be attending via webinar.
Approved for three (3) hours MCLE. This program will be submitted to the HR Certification Institute for review. Certificates will be provided upon verification of attendance for the entirety of the webcast.
*This seminar will be limited to 75 in-person attendees.
To register for this event, please email Ramona Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org.